8 inch Diamond AR500 Steel target
- Steel thickness 3/8″ only
- Works best with our FAIL SAFE HANGER
- Great for rifle or pistol.
Plate only, no hardware included.
BUY RECOMMENDED HANGERS:
The most asked question is what calibers can be used on steel targets. Most companies post a list of calibers appropriate to a given target type but this can be misleading. Understanding how and why steel is damaged by projectiles will give the shooter the information needed to extend the service life of their steel targets. This isn’t rocket science so some basic understanding of the problem with an abundance of common sense will keep your targets in good shape longer.
- There are two factors that will result in damage to steel targets, VELOCITY and ENERGY.
- Velocity over 2800 fps AT THE TARGET will result in surface damage to the steel.
- Energy causes target warping and denting. Thinner steel will warp with continued use or high energy projectiles. This can be mitigated by reversing the steel occasionally or upgrading to a thicker steel.
- High velocity can cause permanent damage to steel plates rendering them unsafe at ranges under 100 yards. For example, standard factory .223 / 5.56 ammunition can vary substantially in velocity depending on brand and/or projectile.
- If you are unsure about your velocity it is advisable to shoot a single shot at the target and inspect for damage, then adjust your shooting distance accordingly.
- Thicker plates will not mitigate velocity damage.
- If you use your target plates for handgun and rifle a good strategy is to use one side of the plate for rifle only and reverse the plate to the smooth side for close range handgun or rimfire.
- 1/4″ AR500 – Rim fire and standard handgun calibers. Light rifle @ 200+ yards. Thinner plates will warp with extended use of standard handgun calibers or light rifle at extended range.
- 3/8″ AR500 – Standard and magnum handgun calibers. Light to medium rifle 2800 fps or less at the target. This is the best all around target thickness.
- 1/2″ AR500 – Standard and magnum handgun calibers. Medium to heavy rifle 2800 fps or less at the target. Best for high energy projectile or heavy use such as matches or clubs.
Fail Safe Hanger info
The Fail Safe Hanger is a very versatile hanger that can be used for all plate sizes 6″ and over. This hanger was originally designed to retain plates 10 lbs and lighter that could be shot off our STANDARD HANGER by medium rifle rounds. This hanger can mount most plates by us or others.
- Fits all FORGED T posts
- Fabricated from 1/4″ A36 steel
- Capable of supporting very heavy plates.
- Designed for plates 6″ and larger.
- Additional T post clamp prevents hanger “walk” with smaller plates.
- Built in wrenches for bolt and T post clamp
- Uses a 1 1/2″ GRADE 8 carriage bolt to mount the plate
- Stackable for multiple plates on a single T post
- Works with most rifle and pistol calibers. (Haven’t tested it with a 50 cal yet)
Unfinished – paint it yourself and save
Powder Coated – High Visibility Orange
- 1 1/2″ GRADE 8 bolt w/ T post clamp
- T post Clamp prevents hanger “walk” with small plates and big bullets.
Grade 8 Bolt info
GRADE 8 CARRIAGE BOLTS:
Grade 8 carriage bolts are a crucial component for withstanding the immense stress forces generated when high-energy rifle rounds hit plates. These bolts have a high tensile strength of 150,000 psi, surpassing the 60,000 psi of low carbon non-grade bolts commonly found in hardware stores. While grade 8 bolts are not bulletproof and can still be penetrated, they are designed to endure hits more effectively than non-grade bolts.
One notable advantage of using carriage bolts is their low-profile heads, which significantly reduce splatter deflection. Additionally, when paired with square hole plates, carriage bolts eliminate the need for using two wrenches during installation, providing convenience and saving time.
It is important to note that grade 8 carriage bolts may not be readily available at local hardware stores, so it’s advisable to purchase them along with your order to ensure you have the appropriate hardware for your shooting targets.
Target failures can be frustrating, but using grade 8 bolts can greatly reduce the likelihood of such incidents. In a test involving non-grade hardware store carriage bolts, they lasted only about 20 rounds from a 7.62 x 39 rifle at a distance of 50 yards on a 12 x 20 silhouette plate. The failure observed was exactly what grade 8 bolts are designed to prevent, bolt head shearing off resulting in target failure.
In summary, grade 8 carriage bolts provide the necessary strength and durability to withstand the forces generated by high-energy rifle rounds hitting plates. Their use, combined with low-profile heads and compatibility with square hole plates, contributes to a safer shooting experience with reduced splatter deflection.
T Post info
T Posts are manufactured from recycled railroad steel and are available in a variety of weights 0.95lbs, 1.25 lbs. & 1.33lbs, etc. per foot. The post is designed in a “T” configuration, has studs every 2-1/2 inches to help support the fence, and includes a 7 in. long by 3 in. wide steel anchor plate to stabilize the post in the ground. Our T Post hangers are designed for 1.25 and 1.33 lb / ft T Posts.
- Manufactured from rail steel
- Weight 1.25 lbs. per lin. ft., including the anchor plate (most common)
- Coated with rust-resistant green enamel paint for corrosion protection
- Should be driven into the ground a minimum of 12 in.
- Use Fence Post Driver or sledge hammer to drive post into the ground.
- Using a sledge hammer can deform the post making hanger installation difficult.
- Available at most farm and hardware stores. Home Depot and Lowes.
- Inspect the top of posts for deformation before purchasing. During manufacturing they are cut to length while hot and the ends can become deformed making installing the hanger difficult. Some deformation is normal, look for twisted or very obvious deformations.
- When installing for temporary use or light target loads in firm ground, pound the post deep enough to engage the fin at least halfway. This will make removing the post easier.
- Make life easier and get a T Post pounder.
- Make life even easier and get a T Post puller. For hard ground or deep posts, this tool is a lifesaver.
- BUY LOCALLY! T post are available everywhere and cost more to ship than they are worth.