66% IPSC AR500 Steel Target
- Choose steel thickness 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2″
- Works best with our STANDARD HANGER and chain or bolt mount
- Great for rifle or pistol.
Plate only, no hardware included.
Recommended hangers: For these large plates we recommend the STANDARD HANGER w / chain or bolt mount. The chain mount allows the plate to hang at approx 10 degrees downward angle and is reactive in all directions. The bolt mount limits side movement and longer bolts increase downward angle.
The most asked question is what calibers can be used on steel targets. Most companies post a list of calibers appropriate to a given target type but this can be misleading. Understanding how and why steel is damaged by projectiles will give the shooter the information needed to extend the service life of their steel targets. This isn’t rocket science so some basic understanding of the problem with an abundance of common sense will keep your targets in good shape longer.
- There are two factors that will result in damage to steel targets, VELOCITY and ENERGY.
- Velocity over 2800 fps AT THE TARGET will result in surface damage to the steel.
- Energy causes target warping and denting. Thinner steel will warp with continued use or high energy projectiles. This can be mitigated by reversing the steel occasionally or upgrading to a thicker steel.
- High velocity can cause permanent damage to steel plates rendering them unsafe at ranges under 100 yards. For example, standard factory .223 / 5.56 ammunition can vary substantially in velocity depending on brand and/or projectile.
- If you are unsure about your velocity it is advisable to shoot a single shot at the target and inspect for damage, then adjust your shooting distance accordingly.
- Thicker plates will not mitigate velocity damage.
- If you use your target plates for handgun and rifle a good strategy is to use one side of the plate for rifle only and reverse the plate to the smooth side for close range handgun or rimfire.
- 1/4″ AR500 – Rim fire and standard handgun calibers. Light rifle @ 200+ yards. Thinner plates will warp with extended use of standard handgun calibers or light rifle at extended range.
- 3/8″ AR500 – Standard and magnum handgun calibers. Light to medium rifle 2800 fps or less at the target. This is the best all around target thickness.
- 1/2″ AR500 – Standard and magnum handgun calibers. Medium to heavy rifle 2800 fps or less at the target. Best for high energy projectile or heavy use such as matches or clubs.
Standard Hanger info
The STANDARD HANGER is our most versatile hanger.
- Fits all FORGED T posts
- Offers a variety of hanging functions. Short chain or single bolt. Extreme reactivity or limited. Adjustable target plate angle.
- Mounts target plates at downward angles from 5 degrees to 20 degrees
- Mounts plate away from the T Post reducing splatter deflection from the post.
- Stackable for multiple plates on a single T post
- Fabricated from 1/4″ A36 steel
- Holds plates to 100 lbs+
- All of our hangers have built in wrenches for bolt and T post clamp.
- Very reactive in all directions. Resets in under 3 seconds. (unlike conveyer belt targets that seem to never stop swinging)
- Enhances plate harmonics for great sound
- Works with our 10″ plates and larger.
- Using YOUR plates the bolt hole MUST be a minimum of 3.5″ from the top of the plate or the hanger and chain will be exposed.
- Very reactive front to back. Side movement is limited. Great for rapid fire pistol.
- Use with top hole plates over 10 lbs
- Angle is adjustable with the length of bolt. (Our plates 12″ – 20″)
T POST CLAMP:
- This clamp is used primarily with the FAIL SAFE hanger with 6″ and 8″ plates to keep the hanger from walking down the post when using heavy loads.
- The STANDARD hanger becomes unstable on the post when there is no weight on it. The beam clamp keeps the hanger in place while hanging or taking down plates…especially the heavy ones.
- Fixes hanger locations on T Posts for repeatability. An example is our TIRE TARGET SYSTEM.
Our Hangers come with built in wrenches for the Iron Beam Clamp and target bolt.
Using the STANDARD hanger with YOUR target plates:
The Hang Fast Hanger is designed to hold the plate in a position that PROTECTS the hanger and hardware from bullet damage. The plate MUST cover the hanger to accomplish this. The bolt hole location in the plate is critical when using this hanger with the Chain Mount and MUST be at least 3 ¾” down from the top or the hanger will be exposed to bullet damage. The smallest plate that can be used with our STANDARD hanger and a chain is 10”. For smaller plates use our FAIL SAFE Hanger. Most plates manufactured by others have the bolt hole located too high to use with our hanger and CHAIN combo. For these plates a single bolt can be used to hang the plate. DO NOT tighten the bolt tight against the hanger. Our STANDARD hanger is designed to be used with plates 10” and larger. For plates 12” and larger the plate bolt hole should be located 1/3 the height of the plate down from the top. This bolt hole location allows the plate to hang at approx. 15 degree angle. For example, a 12 inch plate would have the hole at 4” down from the top, an 18″ plate would have the hole at 6″ from the top. Our hanger is designed to work best with OUR plates but your plates can be used if the these recommendations are followed.
Grade 8 Bolt info
GRADE 8 CARRIAGE BOLTS:
- Plates hit with high energy rifle rounds transfer a massive amount of stress forces to the bolt head that will shear off non grade bolt heads. (giving the false impression they were shot off.)
- Tensile strength – maximum load that a material can support without fracture when being stretched.
- Grade 8 Tensile Strength is 150,000 psi Low carbon non grade bolts are 60,000 psi
- Grade 8 bolts are NOT bulletproof and can be shot through. However, they do take less damage from hits than non grade bolts.
- Carriage bolt heads have a low profile and reduce splatter deflection significantly.
- Carriage bolts used with square hole plates eliminate the need for 2 wrenches for installation.
- Grade 8 carriage bolts are almost impossible to find at local hardware stores, be sure to buy them with your order.
- Everybody hates target failures and grade 8 bolts go a long way to reducing them.
We tested non grade hardware store carriage bolts and this one lasted about 20 rounds from a 7.62 x 39 on a 12 x 20 silhouette plate @ 50 yards. The target plate hit the ground and we all thought the bolt had been hit and shot through… but this is what we found. This failure is exactly what a grade 8 bolt is designed to prevent.
T Post info
T Posts are manufactured from recycled railroad steel and are available in a variety of weights 0.95lbs, 1.25 lbs. & 1.33lbs, etc. per foot. The post is designed in a “T” configuration, has studs every 2-1/2 inches to help support the fence, and includes a 7 in. long by 3 in. wide steel anchor plate to stabilize the post in the ground. Our T Post hangers are designed for 1.25 and 1.33 lb / ft T Posts.
- Manufactured from rail steel
- Weight 1.25 lbs. per lin. ft., including the anchor plate (most common)
- Coated with rust-resistant green enamel paint for corrosion protection
- Should be driven into the ground a minimum of 12 in.
- Use Fence Post Driver or sledge hammer to drive post into the ground.
- Using a sledge hammer can deform the post making hanger installation difficult.
- Available at most farm and hardware stores. Home Depot and Lowes.
- Inspect the top of posts for deformation before purchasing. During manufacturing they are cut to length while hot and the ends can become deformed making installing the hanger difficult. Some deformation is normal, look for twisted or very obvious deformations.
- When installing for temporary use or light target loads in firm ground, pound the post deep enough to engage the fin at least halfway. This will make removing the post easier.
- Make life easier and get a T Post pounder.
- Make life even easier and get a T Post puller. For hard ground or deep posts, this tool is a lifesaver.
- BUY LOCALLY! T post are available everywhere and cost more to ship than they are worth.